Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Knittle Ho Team Project Begins


Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea of the yarn I'm using for our tube scarf. The brand is "The Cat's Meow"called Patina in Forest. It's an Italian yarn made of wool, acrylic, mohair and nylon. I got it at the big "Going Out of the Yarn Business" sale at Garden Ridge quite some time ago. The good thing is that is was dirt cheap and I'm using my stash. The bad thing is that it's Homespun-like in that a thread winds around the strand keeping all the fibers in place, and if broken it frays. I'll also be hand washing or dry cleaning when the time comes.

Even though there's only a minute bit of knitting so far, I just had to share it with you. Can't wait to see what the other scarves will look like.

I used a crochet cast on so that the cast on stitches will look like the bind off stitches. It wasn't really important since it won't show, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. When doing a scarf, or any other article in which you see both ends, it just makes the whole thing nice and tidy. And heaven knows we want to be nice and tidy. We're also slipping the first stitch of the row to make a smooth edge - a big deal when you're using a smooth yarn with no blubs in it. Or is that slubs? Flubs?

The garter stitch can be a bit boring so it's a good idea to find a movie to watch. Snacks, too, are a good idea to keep your strength up. Better yet, ask the cats to join you (they don't need much cajoling) . Today we chose Martian Child and fritoes. It was a good thing.

1 comment:

Knittle Ho's! said...

Love the yarn, not to mention the advice on simultaneous knitting and snacking! I think the crochet cast on is what I usually use, but I'll have to check The Manual to see. I am not overburdened with a variety of knitting techniques, after all. Can't wait to get the package so that Jenn & I can git knitting!