Sunday, September 21, 2008

Motivated Ho Strikes Again

Thank you, Motivated Ho, for reigniting my interest in the cable purse! I lined it today, and while doing so I realized why I had been putting it off: I'm really, really bad at sewing. And I hate trying to get an accurate fit for a liner. Pah. Maybe sometime we can do a tutorial on that. Oh, well, the bag is done now and I have pictures!





This was the first time that I followed a chart to knit something. It was a little disconcerting at first, but once I got used to it I really liked it. Some of the instructions were difficult for me to figure out, but luckily, I have a Stuck-up Ho Knitting Mentor to help me out of such sticky situations.


The pattern was from a book called Folk Bags, and I used a yarn called Plymouth Tweed (100% Virgin Lambswool). It's a stretchy yarn, so I shortened the strap so that when the bag is full the weight won't make it hang too low. It took 2 skeins for the bag, then about a third of another skein for the strap. I used size 6 16" circular needles and a cable needle. The recipe called for an I-cord, but I opted instead to do a cable strap. I like it much better and it's sturdier than an I-cord (or at least I think so; I've never actually done one). The bobbles on the bottom are a little weird, I think; were I to do the bag again, I'd probably skip them.




It's hard to tell in the picture, but the lining is a lime green to match the green flecks in the yarn (the bag is on top of the leftover fabric). I originally wanted an orange liner, but couldn't find the right shade, so I went with this. (On a Helpful Tips note, cats really like to slide around on this silky fabric. It's hours of good, cheap fun.) I still need to figure out what to do about a closure; I thought I'd go to my LYS and see what they have in terms of buttons. I am avoiding thoughts of a zipper, even though that is what would probably work the best for the bag. La la la la la!

Cable scarf: check!
Next project: Team Knittle Ho scarf!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You da Ho-man. You're way ahead of Stuck Up Ho in the cable department. She's in your dust still fanning and feathering.

Love the yarn and the green lining is perfect. It makes a great contrast. What fun you'll have opening it up in front of others, and when they ooh and aah say,"Oh thank you. I made it myself you know."

Have you checked on magnets as closures? I've been meaning to check out such a thing. Of course it would mean taking a few lining stitches out, but what the ho man, you da pro man.

Lining is a pain, but it does really ice the project, doesn't it? We knit because we don't like the needle. There are actually people who do and they will do this dreaded task for us, for a small fee.

Very smart to do a cable strap - an I - cord is flimsy unless you do the 3 needle kind. Plus, you have that pretty little cable on there. BTW, the cable pattern is quite nice.

Watch your bag in the morning when you leave, you may open it at lunch to find an adventurous kitty has sneaked a lime green ride!

Anonymous said...

OMG, magnets! Paid seamstresses! You are brilliant! I think you just changed my whole way of thinking about things.