Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Here's Yer Answer (I Hope)


Your question caused fear in my heart - I've never done an I Cord edge. So after reading your post (upon returning from a lovely Garden Club luncheon) I ran to the kitchen and ate potato chips and ice cream. Everything looked rosier then.

OK, this isn't so bad - it's really pretty cool. Decided it was easier to put the question into action. Here's the dissection:

Cable CO 3 sts: Okay, I can do this, but what am I casting on to? The same needles that I've been using for the bag body? Yes, you are casting onto the left needle - the bag body needle.

Now, knit the first 2 of those cable cast on stitches. You have 2 stitches on the right needle and on the left needle you have the last of the cast on stitches, a gap, and then the 1st of the bag body stitches. These are the stitches from "2 different places".

ssk (1 st from cord and 1 st from bag): Oh, dear. This one really has me stymied. "1 st from cord?" What cord? Is this related to the cable CO? How can I have stitches from 2 different places, when all I have in front of me is the bag body?? These are the 2 stitches on the left needle with the gap between them (see last question) Also see pix - this is a completed step, but it shows the bag body stitch (arrow on left) and I cord stitch (arrow on right) Your needle will look like the picture after you do the ssk and slip 3 sts back to left needle.

slip 3 sts back to left needle: When I tried to cast on and then do the ssk on the same needles that the bag body is on, I ended up with only two sts. So obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Not sure what's happening here, but give it another try and let me know what happens. Don't forget your k2 in the series. After you finish this step your needle should look like the picture.

May we both have peace in our hearts now.



No comments: